Tuesday, February 2, 2010

White Rumped Shama Breeding Project

- This is my first time to breed Songbird, especially White Rumped Shama, which I really like the most, not only the wonderful songs they have but their beautiful display also.
- The breeding season starts from January to September in Southeast Asia, and around March to September in the State, but I started pairing them on 01-31-10 after lengthening the day time to 14 hours.
- The first day went fine, no fighting or chasing at all, but the second and third day, the Male (Tediy) has been chasing the Female (Bleye) during the feeding time, after that, one of each stayed at the different corner.
- Twelve days has passed, The pair gets closer to each other. They both occasional sing their soft songs to attract one another attention. I think they're in top breeding condition now so I decide to set the heater up to 75 F, hope they will mate and have some eggs soon.
- This video clip was recorded when Tediy was in the aviary one week.




- 02/15/10. Good news, both of my birds are building their nesting today. I think it will take a couple days for them to finish the nest.


- 02/18/10. Bleye has worked hard for the last three days, She didn't build her nest in my nest box but right the corner below the roof. I had to move my nest box right next to it, hoping she would change her mind, but no luck so far...
- 02/19. Finally, Bleye changed her mind to build her nest in the box. I think the first egg will be there very soon.

- 02/26 Bleye laid two eggs already, I think the first egg was laid yesterday 02/25.
Got some eggs
- Bleye is resting the whole day after building the nest for five days.
- 02/25 Bleye laid her fisrt egg
- 02/26 The second egg was laid.
- 02/27 I checked the nest if there is the third egg, but somehow there is only one egg left. I guess during she's turning around the nest, one of the egg got into the nest material. I check it out after the breeding season is over.
- 02/27 Bleye started incubating at night. We countdown from this night for 11 days then eggs will hatch,
- 3/10 The egg hatched this early morning.

- Bad news: The baby is gone at 2 days old; the main reasons are the live food is too big for the baby and changing Vitamin supplements in the food, which taste different to the parent so the they rejected the food and didn't feed the baby which caused it died of hungry.
Baby Shama
- 03/17 Good news: Bleye laid her first egg for the second clutch in the morning. This happened 5 days after the baby gone, I think I won't have much eggs for this time cause the gap between two clutch is too short, which is 20 days. Let's see ...
- 3/18 Bleye didn't lay any egg today. Is that it?
- 3/19 Check camera this morning, looks like she laid two eggs in this morning. What a strange...

5 comments:

  1. I am a Grater Indian Hill mynah breeder, and I am planing to breed shamas this year. Any tips you can give me about this breed. Pairing, nesting material, size of cage, position of nest box, location of nest box, kind of box for nest, Ect. Ect. Ect.
    Thank you for your time.
    By the way exellent post
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tung, my uncle's been trying to breed these song birds for about 2 yrs now, but he tells me the parent birds are tossing out the babies minutes after hatching, and the longest was two days. Would you happen to know and can help us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Benjamin Briel Lee was very professional at all times, keeping me aware of everything that was happening, If I had any questions he was always available to answer. This was my first home purchase, I didn’t know much about the loan process, he made it very easy to understand the things I had questions about. I really enjoyed working with him.”  
    He's a loan officer working with a group of investor's who are willing to fund any project or loan you any amount with a very low interest.Contact Benjamin Briel Lee E-Mail: lfdsloans@outlook.com Whats-App Number: +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete